Imminently Launching a Filmmaking Book - Free Taster eBook, Feedback Welcomed!

Hi Shooters,

I'm imminently launching a filmmaking book:
"Hollywood Hates This Book: The 7 Step Guide To Making Your Film For FREE"
www.hollywoodhates.com

It's a detailed guide to the entire indie filmmaking process, writing to distribution.

My foreword is written by Carlos Gallardo (El Mariachi, Desperado, Planet Terror). I've also several Hollywood testimonials backing the project:
www.hollywoodhates.com/testimonials...

In the meantime, I have a totally FREE eBook for people (I'm after feedback on this). It's downloadable at no cost at:
www.hollywoodhates.com/ebook

I just wanted to make the free eBook available to shooters, and to welcome feedback.

Thanks for reading,

Andy

• Would you make your free sample free without registration to shooting people members? I went to read it on your request and was hit with a sign up page!

• Hi Paddy,

That's an entirely fair point and question. I'm going to answer totally honestly, but it's probably not the response you're after.

I've huge respect for Shooting People. The main book will be in a crowdfunding campaign (to aid launch momentum) but after that I'll be offering it to Shooters at a heavily discounted rate (both physical and digital).

This free book, is free... but it does require an email address to sign-up for and for delivery. It's marketing 101, because I'm providing information in exchange for an email address to communicate updates about the main book to. Now, there's an unsubscribe button, which does just that - but I'm very careful with my updates anyway, I think readers of the eBook will appreciate them. Obviously I can't do Shooters a favour in discounting this book, because I've already made it available for free.

In reality, when we sell the main book, that will require an email address (as well as payment), so this really isn't far removed from that. Like any online business, I am subject to laws about data security and we use Infusionsoft (which is pretty much the best). Data is safe. Any concerns, I'd use a second email address.

So, I think it's a totally fair and justified question and I wanted to not just dismiss it, but explain myself throughly. Even if you don't agree, I hope you can see where I'm coming from.

Cheers,

Andy :)

• @Andy Wilton
      Good luck with your project!

• Hey Andy - this sounds like a great project. Could you give us a breakdown of your film industry experience - the sorts of films you've worked on etc so as to understand where the books underlying experience is coming from?

• Hi Lee,

Absolutely (and good question). It's the opening chapter of the full book, but that's no used to anyone who hasn't got it...

So, my background is doing corporate videos and business films. I've done over 1000, for clients such as Nike, ASDA, Orange, Mitre (but far more for the likes of "Bob's Fish & Chip shop". I started doing them for free when stacking shelves at ASDA, who were impressed enough to end up commissioning and paying me to create them.

That showreel got me a trainee director role at a large film production company in the North East, and after working hard, I was the company's lead-director (filming not business) within 6 months. I then went into running my own film company, Once upon a Tyne Productions - doing similar work.

All the while, my passion is cinema and low budget filmmaking (what I now refer to as Atomic Filmmaking). Fuelled by Robert Rodrguze's "Rebel Without a Crew" I made a lot of short films and eventually my first feature: "Behind the Scenes of TOTAL HELL" for £1000GBP. It's a very low-budget effort, but I'm proud of it, and I learned a lot. It's a solid low-fi comedy (and it's narrated by Holly from Red Dwarf).

This did well enough to lead me down the opportunity of making my second feature, which is a sports bio-doc. We got that financed at a multi-million pound level, but the project has now been in limbo due to rights issues for several years. We're still working on it, and can't talk too much about it.

In the meantime, I now focus on teaching filmmaking, doing talks and have spent the last 18months writing this book. It's based on my experience, but it's more based on a LOT of reading, learning and crafting a book.

It was great to share it with Carlos Gallardo, who is obviously a huge part of El Mariachi, and Robert's book is what got me into filmmaking. He offered to write my foreword, and that has since opened doors with other Hollywood pro's reading and offering testimonials to the book.

Once it's launched, I hope to do more talks, workshops and teaching based on it - and hopefully get that difficult second feature off of the ground sooner than later.

Great question, and thanks for asking. :)

• @Andy Wilton Thanks for the update. So is this a book about making features for free or shorts in Hollywood? If features, how many did you make for free? Can you share some titbits?

• @Lee 'Wozy' Warren Hi Lee. :)

So, the free book here, is some tips on general creative filmmaking.

The main book is a complete guide to making a feature, on any budget (though it's obviously aimed at microbudget-low budget). Many of the lessons are transferable to other filmmaking.

I've done the one £1000GBP feature, and the one in development (as above), the rest of my work was primarily business films but I now spend most of my time giving talks and workshops between filmmaking.

I guess the titbits are the free book, but once the full book is released, it will be available to shooters at a significent discount. :)

• @Andy Wilton Wow what a fabulous wealth of experience. However, I'm a little confused. Is your book not about making Hollywood films for free?

• @Lee 'Wozy' Warren Hi Lee. Pretty much the opposite... It's about how to conceive, plan, produce, edit and distribute an independent film.

I'm not pretending to be Steven Spielberg, I'm from North Northumberland, not LA...

I've spent the last 18 months researching, planning and writing the book though, so while it's got me experience in there - it's just also a researched book.

• @Andy Wilton But your book is called "Hollywood Hates This Book: The 7 Step Guide To Making Your Film For FREE".

Sorry I thought you had a unique hook about filmmaking that detailed steps on how to do it for free. What's different in your book then as it now sounds like a million other books that offer the same: conceive, plan, produce, edit and distribute an independent film.

I was hooked at 'Hollywood' and 'Free'. That's what you sold me! The "Hollywood Hates.." bit made me think that you had uncovered some deep mysterious secret that only a select few, like the Spielberg' or Lucas', were privy to. And the "Free" bit made me think that those that had this amazing knowledge were able to do it for nothing.. Now you've dashed my dreams!

101 Marketing - Make sure you give the customer what you promised.

Obviously, I'm a bit longer in the tooth than that having been around filmmaking for the last 35 years with quite a lot of insight to Hollywood film and it's processes. But you get my point.

I wish you well with your book and other endeavours.

Wozy

• @Lee 'Wozy' Warren Hi Lee. Wow, it's almost as if I didn't know that was coming?.... :D
      Yeah, I knew that's where we heading from the start Mate. Sorry you don't "get it" and don't worry if it's not for you. I do appreciate the incredible insight and knowledge though. In fact, I applaud you for it (slow clap, obviously).

• Over 1000 corporates!That's one a day over three years or one a week over 20 years. That's impressive. We think we're going great guns if we manage four minutes a day of finished onlined work. It's usually closer to half that. Mind you we do like to take as many weekends off as possible, holidays and the pursuit of entirely different other things too. We've made a mixed bag of films across most genres of perhaps 200 productions in over 30 years. 300 plus if one counts the charity, community freebies and odds and ends that ought not be included in any credible resume. Very well done indeed. Looking forwards to reading your actual book when it's released. I won't however be subscribing to your prerelease program. Life's too precious to indulge any fishing expeditions other than my own. Guess I've become jaded in my old age but wishing you much success and good fortune.

• Hi John,

It's a true number, mad as a it seems... I started in 1999 and am still plugging away today.

It's somewhat helpful that some of my past clients were Events companies and awards nights. So, I'd on occassion have to make 18 bespoke videos about different businesses for an awards night... those videos would all be independent pieces, and most businesses would then hire me to re-edit them for their websites. That's aided to the "1000 films" total.

While I've been filmmaking for nearly 20 years, two thirds of those films would be in a 3 year period where I worked as a corporate-filmmaking director/editor on a daily basis. That was shooting 3-5 on average a week, every week.

I have spent more time teaching, talking and writing of late, because in all truth I'm a bit "business filmed-out". I want to concentrate on creative work, or I'll end up hating filmmaking...

You sound very experienced John, and thanks for the feedback and input. :)

• Very entertaining read, this. Wouldn't normally chime in but the slow-clapping got me.

I see filmmaking and scriptwriting as a really long and arduous journey across a hot arid desert. In the far, far distance you can just make out a lush mountain range. Once there you'll have made it.

But along the way you get tired and frustrated. You stop at one of the many road-side shacks, luring you in with their hottest tips on how to cross that arid desert much, much quicker for a few bucks. Until you realise that the person offering you their helpful advice on how to cross the remainder of the desert has never actually crossed that desert themselves.

There's a lot of successful road-side shack owners especially in the UK, the biggest of which make good money, and some are even known to hang out in the UK Pav at Cannes. Hell, some of them then even write books about how to "do" Cannes. Whole books!

The truth is, filmmaking is a fucker of a job, not to mention what it does to your life in the process, so I don't really blame people for not making it to those mountains. It's taken me a really long time just to get into the foothills, but it's already much better here than out in the desert...

Good luck, Andy! I'm with Wozy in that I wouldn't buy a book that makes me instantly feel like it's below my (not impressive) intellect, and these kind of catch phrases are the stuff of annoying pop-ups you instantly click off. If you use phrases like "Hollywood hates this book" you're on used-car salesman territory, but maybe you could fine-tune that? Unless you're Ted Hope or Christine Vachon I probably wouldn't use it –– because Hollywood can only hate something that's damaging its existence. And John, 4 minutes is hugely impressive!!

• Hi Ivo,

I'm with you, as it happens. You've managed to present a fair argument, which I pretty much agree with, without trolling or being condescending.

What I would say, is that I haven't written enough about that book here, which does entirely open me up to scrutiny. When I list a book and only put the title, then it's my fault if people just read into the title.

The title is a marketing tool, it's a catchy phrase that will serve this book well in getting noticed and finding an audience. That said, it is a bit click-baity and my marketing team had to have several conversations with me about it before I stuck with it.

So, yeah, I think I kind of agree.

No hint of anything but honesty/intergrity when I say thanks for the feedback and the way you presented it.

• @Andy Wilton I just don't understand the strategy of selling one thing and giving the customer something else. It's nothing but bad business for all concerned. 1) The customer is disappointed when they finally read it as it's not what they bought into 2) bad word of mouth hinders sales for the company. Everyone looses...

And to be honest, even with all the explanation in the world about what was in the book that you could have done, the fact is people will see the cover and make their decision based on that bold statement. They will buy it. And they will possibly be disappointed.

Slow claps all round.

• @Lee 'Wozy' Warren Hi Lee. Fair play to that, and you do raise some good points. I think I perhaps read a bit more sarcyness into your previous comment than was actually there.

Thanks for the thoughts.

• I was going to keep my yap shut, but I'm with Wozy. Maybe to those of us that have been around awhile, this title makes us think of every other book like it we've seen for the last 30 years that didn't fulfill the promise. One book that I thought had a great title and information was "Feature Filmmaking at Used Car Prices."

I'm not sure why Hollywood would hate your book. I also don't know how you'd make a film for free. It reeks of hucksterism. Seems to me that you have a lot of solid blurbs from solid people. That's your best selling point. Don't cheapen it with this title and create bad word of mouth. BTW, I speak from experience. I wrote and published "Killer Camera Rigs That You Can Build." I published the first two editions myself (as a print book, not an ebook), then let Focal Press take over the 3rd edition. I'd really rethink the title. (Just so you know, I didn't bother to download it because of the title). But hey, I'm often wrong.

• Hi Dan,

Thanks for this. It is a point many have made, and it was my intial gut reaction with that title too. I guess it's grown on me, and it's working from a marketing POV... Maybe not so much with the established and experienced filmmakers here, but with more emerging and breaking through filmmakers. It does have to find a path to people through the forest of stuff... but, yeah, it needs to not sound shit either.

Thankyou for the feedback, and the way you presented it. I'll definitely give it some thought. :)

• I have to say I agree with Ivo, Paddy Wozy and Dan. I don't know if you are new to SP Andy, but it might be useful for you to have a look at some of the good advice backed up with real filmmaking experience that Paddy, Dan, Wozy, John and the other really helpful SP members give.
    It's all very well trying to chance it to get a few email addresses, but you really need to do your homework before trying to sell something like your "free" book to the members.
    What might be more useful for other filmmakers would be an honest account of your experiences, with the triumphs and pitfalls, and why you couldn't make the second feature and how you overcame the obstacles or not. As the others have pointed out there are a million books about filmmaking out there, what makes yours different?