Could you please give me feedback on my DOP reel?

Hi shooters

Could you please give me your feedback on my DOP reel? All feedback is welcome positive or not.

This film reel is based on my short film work in my first steps as a Dop and I do aside camera operator and video editing.

vimeo.com/430882316

Kindest Regards

Vasily-f

• Pretty nice Vasily, I think you should go out and just film some color scenic stuff to add to it, even if it's just nature or something. Good stuff :-)

1 month ago
  • Hi Lance

Thank you for your response and I really appreciate your feedback. I believe as well that I need to enrich my content with a few more projects outside the noir films.
    I hope to get that opportunity.

Kind Regards
    Vasily-f

1 month ago
  • Good work. As you said, you need more content. You should limit each lighting set up to just a few seconds; that is long enough to make an impression. Any longer than that and you will start to lose audience. Put all your best stuff first as a lot of people will only watch the first 20 seconds so basically you’ve got 20 seconds to get people hooked and watch the rest. If the first 20 seconds is all one lighting set up people are going to stop watching and look at the next one. Remember, potential clients will have a lot of reels to plough through.

Keep going though😊

1 month ago
    • Hi Mark

your feedback is very encouraging and structured, it means a lot to me that you've taken the time to write.
      I agree and will readjust the sequence to reflect the best shots and lighting set up at the beginning of the reel with the work I currently have.

Kindest Regards
      Vasily-f

1 month ago
  • Some very pleasing shots here. Your strong dramatic lighting shows up well, creating an atmosphere. There is nothing wrong with what you have, but as others have said above, as a show reel it could be improved by a change in tone and atmosphere. The graveyard shots could come earlier. But good work, and good luck to you!

1 month ago
  • Dear Yen

Thank you so very much for your constructive feedback. It is obvious to me that it needs a bit of more colour shots earlier and maybe add some additional content in colour. I am not certain if I should limit to my short film projects or include shots from footage I have filmed in random?!

Again I really appreciate the time you took to write to me.

Kindest Regards
    Vasily-f

1 month ago
  • nice work, I really enjoy the whole ascetic you've created. I would say that while 'Dip to black' feeds into the environment, it feels a little overused. Consider trying a few different transitions

2 weeks ago
  • Dear Mordecai

I agree completely! That goes onto my notes regarding all changes I need to do for the film reel. Thanks a lot for your nice comments.

Kindest Regards
    Vasily-f

1 week ago
  • Some lovely work - though it feels more like a showreel for the actor, than for the director of photography! Others have asked for a wider range and I'd agree; think about who you want to show it to, and what you want them to take from it. But well done

4 days ago