Finding serious film associates

Hi all,

I've been running a production company for about 2 years on my own part time, not making much money of course but producing a lot of of pretty good content, documentaries, interviews, short films, events. I have a small network of people I use for specific areas (sound, production etc)...you know the score as a startup.

Now, I would like to grow, take on more profitable projects and make longer form narrative film, and I think I really need to find an associate who together we could grow the productions and the brand.

And can I find anyone - like hell :-(. I get so many people who are only interested in being paid or are not serious about filmmaking or believe they are the dogs b*ll*cks because they put together a badly lit 'action' short.

Maybe I'm being unrealistic in trying to bring somebody else in, maybe I'm advertising in the wrong place, maybe my approach is wrong..

What do you think, have any of you been in a similar position, what would you do if you were me...

Thanks all

• It's not clear what's on offer - 50% of the company as a production partner, or employment? Growing a business is hard, very hard, which is why most of our industry is freelancers cross-contracting as opportunities arise.

If your company is in the position where it's winning more work than you can handle alone, that's the time to start engaging people (employed or freelance). If it isn't, what is there to motivate someone to work for/with you on your projects instead of their own?

Just some thoughts that may be affecting how people engage with your company :)

• Thanks for the comments Paddy.

Ideally it would be a production partner to help grow the company with more serious projects, both mine and theirs. I've met a quite a few people who partnered from the start to build from scratch - I tried that too but after 4 months it was clear that my original business partner didn't realise how much work was needed so dropped out.

At the moment I'm winning more work I have been farming out some pieces to freelancers, maybe that is just the way to continue.

Regards

• If you want a business partner then advertising for them is not usually an optimum strategy. Lots idiots, little quality.

This is someone you meet and get to know possibly at a networking meeting or event, more likely someone you work with on one project and decide you get on with, and trust.

Spend time with the freelancers, see who you trust. You are looking for a marriage partner, not a fling.

What you want is someone who shares your vision, has skills that dovetail nicely with yours, (if you are creative, you need someone who loves budgets), is willing to work hard and is ABLE to do so.

The last is critical - until your projects bear fruit can they put the time in or will they be distracted by earning a crust to pay the mortgage and maintain a family? If they can't commit real time, they are just a drain.

• One thing we are not short of is facilities for production and post production. The cost of creating a full blown broadcast standard 4K set up with two or more cameras, grips, lighting, audio, post production computers, monitoring etc., can now, for the cognecent, be achieved for as little £15K, so imagine what £25k can buy. Consequently we're not short of small and micro production companies either, not least because we've produced a conciderable over supply of film, TV and media graduates to add to the numbers of enthusiastic self taught self starters.

What Alvin is seeking is what everyone else is seeking, that being mutuality empowering collaborators. Making films is usually a team effort. If one is successful enough business wise, one can hire people; the best of which are rarely available cheap or on spec. One might ask oneself why a great collaborator would want to invest themselves into someone else's modest start up business which already encapsulates someone else's logo, ethos and traction unless such an enterprise already has some significant and unique opportunities tangably attached?

Whilst high quality production skills are a valuable resource the real prize is creative intellectual property in terms of well developed ideas for productions of any kind that are applicable to a viable audience, as opposed to the astonishing preponderance of the trite and the banal. Gold standard creative intellectual property is no good without creative business skills either; the best of which are innate and evolved owing little to those learned in any business school, even at the level of a masters degree.

So it's not so much about Alvin attracting a high functioning partner into his business as it is about partnering himself and his business with an appropriate and compatible other high functioning entity still in its relative infancy to the MUTUAL benefit of both.

• Thanks for the responses so far, some interesting points have been raised that I will take on board. And thanks to those who emailed me - I will respond in the next day.

• It was nice reading this as someone who also dreams of having a film associate to share and work on ideas.