Short film about Mental Health

Hi guys,

I'm co-producing a short film about Mental Health (fiction, not documentary). We aim to portray that kindness is powerful and that awareness - really seeing what's going on around us, and really listening - can save lives. Everyone in our team is very passionate about this topic and has a personal connection to it.

I was wondering - are there any filmmakers around here that have recently made films dealing with this subject, or Mental Health in general? Or are working on a similar project? It would be great to exchange experiences, get/give feedback on ideas and maybe even collaborate to raise awareness for this subject.

We have some great actors on board, Mind and Sane have approved our script and we are now in pre-production. (If you want to see more: thepowerofonecoin.co.uk )

Looking forward to seeing some of your work about this subject!!

Magdalena

• I was DOP on a short/promo made in support of The Alzheimers Society. There is a link to it in my SP profile.

• Forgot to say. Its called "Peace of Mind."

• I am a writer director and my documentary short film "Silent In The Crowd" on mental health in the black community was made some time ago but still is a relevant topic for debate.

• Hi Monika, hi Mark, thank you so much for sharing your films!

Mark, thank you for sharing. My father suffers from Alzheimers. I can relate to this film a lot. The mind seems to wander back and forth between fragmented memories and a reality where everything feels strange for him. Losing him more and more to this was hard, is still hard. I am so glad that I did have the chance to talk to him while he still remembered. Those moments will be forever in my heart.

Monika, do you have a link to your film?

• Hi Magdalena, I made a short film not too long ago on depression. Here's the link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=5p9mjVtn7Kg&...

• Hi, I recently wrote and co-directed a short animation that tackles some mental health issues, especially in middle aged men, called ‘A Little Grey’. It doesn’t go too deeply into the topic as it’s only 5 mins long but I hope it brings some inspiration for people, especially new parents. Here is a link to the trailer, it’s still going round the Festival circuit so I can’t publish it yet but let me know if you want to see more.

www.beakus.com/alittlegrey/

Simon

• Hi Magdalena - I too am making a short film with a children's mental health angle, although it's not about mental health per se. It's a short and it features a clown. You can see more on our Facebook page TheInterviewFilmUK. Please like and follow.

• Hi Magdalena

For my 3rd Year of Uni my dissertation film was; in a way, a 10 minute snapshot of my own of anxieties, and where it came from in my life.
    There's a tone of dark humor to it as is my style and sense of humor.
    I found the process; obviously being very personal, mentally difficult at times but very therapeutic and rewarding. I made the film with friends and we actually had a laugh doing it.

If you'd like to discuss fully please feel free to message me or email:
    APSaunders@3rdmotion.com

Thanks

• We're currently working a short drama focussing of male mental health issues, which was partially funded by NI Screen via BFI.Network and which has the support of Inspire (the Northern Irish equivalent of MIND). We hope to shooting January, and are raising the last bit of cash via Indiegogo at present, with 5% going direct to Inspire. Here's the link: www.troublesfilm.com

• Hi Magdalena,
    I've just returned from the Au Contraire mental health film festival in Montreal. I helped programme the festival this year. Take a look at the programme for ideas: acff.ca

I have also animated several short animated documentaries about mental illness:
    - Patients (2012)
    - Animated attempts at depicting mental I (2015)
    - Escapology: the art of addiction (2016)
    - Critical Living: the Philadelphia Association community houses and Critical Psychiatry.

alexwiddowson.tumblr.com
    alexwiddowson@hotmail.com

• Would you count grief as a mental health issue - we do. But not as a sickness, more as a state of being with huge creative opportunities ... I have grieved for two best friends, my mother, my father in law and my son (22 when he died) and have recently founded THE GOOD GRIEF PROJECT thegoodgriefproject.co.uk/. Part of this work was to produced a 75 min documentary A LOVE THAT NEVER DIES (docs are my thing I'm afraid not fiction). We have also produced a 45 min doc for Alzheimers Society GERRY'S LEGACY in which we chronicalled the life of my wife's father during the last two years of his life spent in a psychiatric ward (he had vascular dementia). If any of this is of value please contact me jimmy@beyondgoodbye.co.uk

• Hi Magdalena, I'm a Trustee of the charity Oxfordshire Mind, and have some experience of the issues, both as a Trustee and a filmmaker. Feel free to contact me (info@andireiss.com).

1 month ago
  • Thank you all for your replies and links! This is very helpful for us and I enjoyed taking a look at all your work.

We are now 50% funded on Kickstarter! And it's amazing to be able to talk about this important topic with so many different people in the course of this campaign.

So please feel free to have a look and give us some feedback, either here or through our campaign or fb page:
    thepowerofonecoin.co.uk