Any good/bad experiences of p2p kit rental sites like Fat Lama / MyKitPlace?

I've just put a load of my kit up on both Fat Lama and MyKitPlace (I did KitMapper too, but that seems to have folded earlier this week), and wondered how many other shooters have used these sites - both to hire others' kit and to rent out their own - and what your experiences have been? Cheers!

• Jonathan, I've just asked this question in the ask me section. My observation is that prices for the same thing are all over the place. Some prices looking too good to be true. Another consideration is how the gear has been maintained. Gear from a real rental house will be professionally maintained and that "Insurance" that the gear will not falter is passed on to us as renters.
    I may rent camera bodies as back ups for expensive days, but my main list will still come from an established cinema house. Our asking these questions is a good thing. Is there a link to your gear list?

• I know what you mean. Hadn't thought about the issue of kit failing as, like you, I wouldn't dream of using kit hired from an individual for a proper days filming.

www.jonathanharden.com/kit

• out of topic mate. I like your work. would you check out the trailer of my last short?
      vimeo.com/275795032
      Would be great to have a feedback from and Irish filmmaker. Many thanks

• @ Nice trailer, Adolfo. Love seeing Irish characters and their stories outside of Ireland. Don't see it often enough.

• @Jonathan Harden I appreciate that.

• Hey guys, I personally use fatlama both as borrower and as lender (used borrowfox a couple of times). I found these platforms a very good alternative to rental companies. First of all you have the chance to borrow something last minute. Price are lower most of the time. You can find an item real close your area, meaning less time wasted to grab and return the gear. I get your point about maintenance and insurance but it's not really a problem, because first of all, when u collect an item you can check yourself if it works. If you have any problem you can always contact the lender or fatlama, in the worst case. As lender the platform covers basically any damage and loss and as borrower is up to you to keep the item safe and return it as you found it. Then if you want to play super safe, you can get an insurance yourself and that's it.
    I really don't get anything out of it but for low budget projects mainly this new way of renting is a game changer. Also it's great to get to know someone working in your field every time, it can be a sort of networking inn a way.
    Having said that, if you want to try it, you can use my code when registering on the platform and get some free credit, which is not bad at all.

fatlama.com/r/ado-ad781f

www.borrowfox.com/r/CreaCtivity-a12da23...

Hope this will help.
    A.

• I just looked at borrow fix. It seems almost entirely London-based. Here's a quick summary I've done of my experiences so far: www.linkedin.com/pulse/p2p-kit-hire-have...

• Used Fat Lama once to hire a drone. It was cheap but the drone wouldn't fly straight :(