Share your Film Festival experience with me!

Hello Shooters,

hope you are all well...

I am planning to submit my short film DID to a couple of UK Film Festivals, such as LSFF, BFI, Cork, Aesthetica and Leeds.

During my research I came across with a list of some Festivals that I have never been familiar of and I was thinking that maybe some of you could share your experience with me if you ever have submitted your film to any of those Festivals listed.
The Festivals are: Edinburgh Short Film Festival (not the International one that takes place every summer), Hamptons, Cardiff, Cornwall, Colchester, Cambridge, Strawberry Shorts, British Independent, Wimbledon, Glasgow, Galway Fleadh, Portobello.

By the way if you would like to have a sneak peek at the released trailer of my movie, here is the link: shootingpeople.org/watch/128820/did...
Please feel free to comment and rate!

Alexandra!!!

• Hi Alexandra, Galway is a fantastic festival (Academy Award qualifying too!).

3 years ago
  • Hi Anna,
    I will submit it to Galway too!

Regards,
    Alexandra!!!

3 years ago
  • All the festivals listed are UK based, when in fact the largest and most important documentary festivals (that often prioritise regional premieres) are abroad. Oscar qualifying or BAFTA qualifying are an indication, but not necessarily all are 'worth while'. Clermont Ferrand is possibly the most important marketplace, Shortsfest in Palm Springs, Tampere etc. If you get into Sundance or SXSW's shorts programmes you'll be inundated with invitations/acquisition requests. If you build your momentum across the North American or European circuit you'll get good street cred, which to be honest, rarely happens from launching films first in the UK (Encounters and London Short Film Fest are good btw). I think I have a list of short film festivals/short film buyers lying around in case you want to DM me.

3 years ago
  • From a standing start with no reputation and no star value in you short applying to any film festival is a hit and hope procedure. Make a budget for festival submission costs. Fire many bullets and you'll hit a few targets.

If you have a reputation and/or star value in your film you could contact festivals outside the usual application route and/or appoint a festival doctor on a retainer.

Biggest lesson I've learnt is that there is no transparency about why you've not been selected. There is no rhyme or reason as to why festivals choose you - they just do and you're grateful.

It's not surprising really. Even the middle league festivals get 100s more submissions than they can programme.

Best of luck

3 years ago
  • Cork is in Ireland, so not a UK festival.

I've had films screened at and attended Cornwall and Wimbledon and they're both great festivals. I haven't been to Portobello. It's a long established fest, but the last time I looked into it, they screened every film submitted, so not particularly selective.

I'm surprised you mentioned LSFF (formerly the Halloween Festival), but didn't mention the London Film Festival. I would definitely go for the LFF before LSFF, as LFF require a premiere and so you do sort of have to choose your first choice.

3 years ago
    • Thanks for your reply Daniel :) I think the LFF is the BFI I mentioned.

Regards,
      Alexandra!!!

3 years ago
  • Hi Xavier, could you please send me the list you've got with short film festivals/short film buyers? I can't find your personal profile to PM you privately...

3 years ago
  • Hi Alexandra, as a filmmaker I try to submit to as many as I can afford, someone once told me a good film will get into one in ten festivals submitted too and a great film two in ten but make sure to check out the premier status of big festivals because you don't want to run the risk of getting in having already given away your premier to another smaller festival. I run the film site re:VAULT so would advise checking out our list of festival deadlines coming up soon
    revaultfilmden.co.uk/deadlines-coming-up...

I also work for Wimbledon Short Film Festival so would suggest submitting here ;)
    www.wimbledonshorts.com/

All the best and good luck!

3 years ago
    • Hi Louise!
      Thanks for the useful links, they're really helpful :)
      The Wimbledon Shorts require short films under 15 mins including closing credits. My film is exactly 15 mins and 42 secs. Shall I submit it?

3 years ago
  • Hi Shooters,

Does any of you have an experience submitting your film to any of the following festivals?

The Smalls Film Festival