Amazon Video Direct

Anyone on here using Amazon Video Direct? Here's a link to my films released on Amazon. www.amazon.com/v/underground
Would love to share experience with this platform with other shooters

• I'd be interested to know what you're doing to drive traffic to your streaming site?

• Hi Davina, I'm just using the usual social media sites at the moment.

• @James Esposito Sorry for not responding sooner. I didn't get notification of your response. I'm guessing that you're not spending any money to drive traffic. Also, I recently discovered the Amazon royalty for UK filmmakers is now 1c. So, it's probably a waste to dsped money driving traffic at this new royalty rate. Do you follow Rob Hardy and his blog about indie filmmaking as a business?
      11 seconds ago

• Hi Davina, I'm just using the usual social media sites at the moment.

• Hi James,

I'm guessing the revenue is very low for adding your content to Amazon Video Direct? What deal have you signed up to?

• Hi Michael, it is very low. I've let the film be available for Amazon Prime members for free. I get about 4p per hour watched.

• @James Esposito
      Thanks James. Do you have to go through a distributor or can you just open an account and do it yourself?

• @Michael Lebor No, just open an account on Amazon Video Direct. With the new royalty rates you'd need 1000 people to watch one hour of your content to earn £10.

• @James. Sorry for not responding sooner. I didn't get notification of your response. I'm guessing that you're not spending any money to drive traffic. Also, I recently discovered the Amazon royalty for UK filmmakers is now 1c. So, it's probably a waste to dsped money driving traffic at this new royalty rate. Do you follow Rob Hardy and his blog about indie filmmaking as a business?

• The way I see it is that you're selling a film for 1-4p. I'm going to start distributing new films through Vimeo on Demand. I'll check out Rob Hardy's blog.

• Hi Shooters,

Firstly, in recent days IMDb has updated it's 'Watch on Prime Video' links. These had disappeared for quite some time but if you've got films on Prime, these links take
    people straight to your film.

www.imdb.com/name/nm3428843/

Secondly, if you go bit deeper in the SP message boards you can see my previous - more detailed - posts on distribution. I've made 14 multi genre features since 2010 and I've seen almost every streaming route there is and I'm happy to share what is an ongoing experience for me.

I also run the Nightpiece Film Festival in the Edinburgh Fringe and am always keeping tabs on tales of distribution woes and the general expenditure of filmmakers.

I've never spent a single penny on marketing. The response to the films has been entirely organic.

I've got 5 films up on Amazon Prime at them moment and everything is up on Vimeo bar 'Princess in the Castle'.
    Thanks to FilmHub.com my films are also out in all matter of magical places that I know little about. I've also got content out with HODTV.net in Italy.

Since 2017 my films have been pirated and on the torrent sites within hours but I've also had the unique situation of an American 'studio' (Echelon Studio's) passing off my first 5 feature films as their own to one of YouTube's video behemoths...

I've seen a few cents, sometimes dollars here and there from Amazon and I've got $125.22 (ish) on account (e.g.waiting to be paid) with Filmhub but this involves
    3 or 4 titles and tails back to Autumn 2018! As an aside, you'll find that not many indie filmmakers are open about what they actually spend and recoup...

Vimeo is transparent all the way - again a few dollars here and there - but it's got an odd stigma around it and it's near impossible to find your video without a direct link.

If you can, hold private screenings of your film; at £5 a ticket you will make money here on a single night than you will streaming for years. Use these funds to orchestrate your online release and see if your film bites and then be prepared for trolls if it gets popular.

Amazon is now an awful, awful, awful, awful deal and from Jan 2020, the royalty drops to £0.02p per hour for indies that don't play much. It does payout monthly if people are watching your content but it buries your films and early 2019 quietly performed a purge of hundreds of thousands of indie titles with no reasoning, however, it's a necessary evil to be part of it.

My 15th feature 'Cocaine Gangster Talk' comes out in the coming weeks. The problem with this is it runs at 3h 17m and that's gonna be $197 on the Closed Captions alone....

keep filming!

Al Carretta
    Director, Nightpiece Film Festival

Twitter: @alcarretta

• Fair and explotitive distribution revenues available to indie filmmakers
    3 months ago · 72 responses

• Thanks Ray, I'll continue the chat on the thread you suggest. Good to have it all in one place.

• @Michael Lebor Hi Michael, before the thread gets lost in a different dimension (I had trouble finding it) I was wondering if you have a massive problem with trolls on Amazon too? Do you have any content out there? I get abuse from across the world and it gets boring but this is the biggest and most negative issue with Amazon Video Direct.

There is a constant lack of constructive feedback from random reviewers so it would be re-assuring to see that other filmmakers like yourself face exactly the same problems. You see, I've now delivered and distributed 14 features since 2010 now. All my films have been sub £2k spends.

Having no budget doesn't mean you can't tell a good, solid story but some projects - by deliberate design - just aren't made to be perfect and experimenting is an art form many are afraid to flirt with.

In recent years I've deliberately played with style because it's increased my profile and helped me explore ideas that just aren't worth considering on real budgets. These films aren't getting the reception my early, straight up linear work did as I'm no longer spoon feeding; I'm playing to see what bites and sadly people - particularly the Amazon Prime audience - just aren't open to the experimental projects but filmmaking is a constant learning curve.

Do let us know your experience of trolls and bad reviews - maybe you should submit some of your work to Nightpiece Film Festival.

filmfreeway.com/NightpieceFilmFestival...