Film Investment

We are always looking for films in all genres that have budgets of US$1m / £1m to £100m for our funders to invest in.They invest up to 80% of costs of projects films, TV series - all screenplays will be vetted by them.

If you have such a project then please email me: lawrence.perry@nym.hush.com

• Hi Lawrence, are you looking for loglines / short pitches or full screenplays at this stage?

• full portfolio including Concept overview, storyline and script

• Two questions really - if you're 'straight' Lawrence how come so few people are approaching you? One so far it seems. And if you're not how come SP are entertaining you? Very strange. And when did producers (if that is what you are) ask for 'full portfolio including concept overwiew (?) storyline and script'. As Gerry Byron asks 'are you looking for loglines/short pitches?' That would be normal. Well no it would be weird in a world where literally thousands of screen plays are dumped largely unread.

• Actually Allan I am currently arranging funding for five films. I'm here to listen.

• It's rare for someone to come on SP, or any film forum for that matter, with such an open chequebook, open to all offer. A cynic might think this is too good to be true.

A little more context would really help allay those fears.

Given the investment fund will be vetting the projects proposed via you:
    1) what credentials/expertise do they have to judge a good film project from a bad one and/or
    2) what is success - commercial success or film festival/critical?
    3) what is the preferred genre - or horror or comedy or drama etc? 'All genres' of film and TV series seems like a extremely vague starting point for anyone looking at investing millions of pounds.
    4) what sort of track record would you expect the writer to have?

In addition, please can you tell us what films the investment fund(s) that you represent have had experience of investing in to date, any films they've made to date or any notable film successes?

• Hi all,

Just if it's helpful, I've met with Lawrence and as I understand it, he's representing a fund connected with a studio with a couple of respectable British industry-related names at the helm. I don't know the fund structure or source, and there are few things in this life more complicated than feature finance, so it is never the same shape twice. Genre-wise I speculate that there may be a heightened affinity with animation.

I'm naturally reserved when it comes to feature finance, obviously we have a lot of false starts in the industry, but now and again new sources of finance do open up. I have introduced a very credible production company to Lawrence and his contacts and they are working together to see if any projects/small slate get interest and engagement. If I get concrete news one way or another, I'm happy to report back which scale/types of project did and didn't engage.

We all know the industry has its share of rogues - I've met plenty - and Lawrence does seem to have genuine intentions in this venture from my experience. I hope this helps people a little.

• Thank you Paddy.

All of this is about relationships, I'm making relationships here.

Yes not all deals are done so easily as Stuart rightly suggests, and I don't pretend to know as much about film as you all do.

I spoke to Allan, and will talk to Gerry tomorrow hopefully.

Stuart I will reply to you privately.

I'm on holiday next week, so post may build up.

You all have rich talents and admire your taste for writing and perseverance.

• Hi Lawrence. Will you accept English synopsis from Israel? Thank you. Yair

• Yes Yair - I will accept film projects in different languages.

• Hi Lawrence, quick question, I have a feature that I am on the hunt for financing for, the budget is a little more conservative (around the 40k mark). Would it still be possible to send this across as a pitch?
    Very Best
    Chris

• You could email your project through, but cannot commit to taking on this at this present time.

• Allan, Stuart, thank you for raising these questions.

Lawrence, what has been keeping me was mainly the uncertainty - lack of information - regarding compliance questions when it comes to the source of the fund. Can you please clarify this?

Qualifications to select projects would also have been a question, but the fact that this is about our own projects nullifies this issue.

That said, like many of us, I certainly have quite a few projects that can use funding. Yesterday.

• Hi Alève, I'll hopefully have more news in a few weeks as the company I've introduced has a few projects submitted, so we can see the results of the process at the other end :)

• @Paddy Robinson-Griffin Thanks.

• Why are people being so cynical? Stop being so British and get on with the wonderful opportunity he's open to offering. Well done on your equanimity and very gentlemanly responces Lawrence, I like your style.
    Ken.

• Thank you Ken, and I note from all the comments that I have received, even by email - all being answered. That I am in the presence of some amazing people with hugh talent - thank you.

• The traditional funder has been in business a long time, and knows how to engage the films to progess, but I have only been in business full-time since 2014 - I favour the less conventional way through relationships, and we might not to any business, it doesn't matter does it - this has to be social engagement first, would you agree?

• Hi Lawrence, I have emailed you. Thanks for your time.

• I have answered everyone who has contacted me so far.

• Hi Lawrence, I've emailed you my project. Many thanks.

• Hi Lawrence, I've just joined SP and am delighted to have sent you info about a project that I have a script and a budget for. It stalled at the investment stage in 2008 (I had private investment lined up from HNW individuals in the banking sector before the crash happened). Do let me know if the idea appeals. Thanks for reaching out to forums like SP. Best wishes Tania

• I have had 6 meeting today with 6 film companies who saw this conversation. At the meetings, my colleagues Hen Udani and Michael Harris of Evolutionary Films 'the Prizefighter' was present.

We are able also to do low budget films from £200k upwards. Of course you don't just get me, I'm working with a team - this is all about relationships.

I was away last week - and am now getting back to your many messages.

• From what I've read in the email reply, I don't think my pitch was actually read, and it doesn't look at all hopeful if you're just the writer, as it seems you need to bring a lot to the table.

If you've written something and are just looking to sell it, this doesn't seem like the way to go.

• I am one person and I had six face to face meetings yesterday James, on looking again at your email the martial art comedies maybe possible, and I could put these to Don Clovis, who I know well.

This is about the funder that we are dealing with Titanium like family action films, no gore, no swearing and viewing for the whole family.

I have been inundated with scripts - and am on a shoe-string.

Unfortunately I cannot read all these scripts.

• Never mind. My scripts aren't aimed at children. There is swearing. Thanks anyway.

• Thank you James, we have a relationship and we have connected, if it's not now, it will be later that we are doing a project together.

• If you know of anyone who wants comedies aimed at adults (but not 'adult' films), let me know.

• James, I suggest we arrange a skype conversation - my skype /dolmaint .......
    I do not do adult films.....
    In the first skype messaging you need to identify in the contact request yourself - this is open to anyone reading this ie why you want to contact...

• Hi James, may be helpful to give you a bit of background here. Feature finance is a complex beast, and Lawrence represents a part of the puzzle, not the whole solution!

A script is great, but needs a lot to surround it to be an investable product. That means it needs packaging up with producers, director, possible cast, other investors, and a whole delivery and sales plan ideally. Lawrence represents a fund who will come in with a generous percentage on reasonable terms, but they're realistically the last money in, not the first, and they're not about developing scripts but providing cash for developed ones.

If a script is packaged with budgets, etc., representing a project ready to film, it is much easier to invest in than a bare script on its own. It may be worth your looking at building scripts into packages and then approaching the market. There's a significant amount of work to do so, but the projects are far more investable than a bare script if they can show they've been fleshed out. You need a creative producer with a financial background to fill in the gaps and raise first finance.

The word "showbusiness" is ⅓ show and ⅔ business, after all!

• Hi, sorry for the late response. I have several scripts that I am not interested in the business side of, are you saying that realistically I'm never going to sell them because I don't have everything connected with it?
      Surely it is the job of a producer or someone else to attach a crew and cast and forecast marketing and profits etc?

Also, I have one script that I have been attempting all of the above with, yet run into 'we'll look when it's green-lit and fully funded,' problem.

No one wants to commit until there's money, no one will put up money until there's people attached.

Any help please?

• @James McCann

Hi, you're looking to sell scripts but Lawrence isn't buying scripts, he's connecting investors with packaged products. Sounds like you need to find a producer to package up your scripts if they like them :)

• @James McCann In actual fact I prefer reading the synopsis - so far I have come across three that I like.

I reiterate we are Exec producers and help film makers create good movies with funding. By all means James sent the summary.

• I've just heard from the fund and we cannot do any projects at this stage under $5m (£3.8m)

We do have a Sales Agent working with us, but equally you can use your own.

• We will fund films over the $5m and above threshold 100%, however we want a full package ready to go, – full portfolio including Concept overview, storyline and script, team, detailed budget, waterfall/projections.

The present fund we are working with does not do war films and does not do horror films.

Generally the fund does not like swear words.

They like family action films, and will consider other genres.

If you do not have the full spec - we can help you get it together - if you have cast involved or you must have most of the package in and a promo sheet.

We have a sales agent working with us.

• We are also looking for Bollywood films