D.I.Y film school in Bristol

I’m setting up a D.I.Y. film school in Bristol this autumn. The idea is simple: the participants will act as a film crew, making 4 short films in a year.

There is a longer description, available at the link below, which gives more details, including how to apply.

docs.google.com/document/d/1QOXzrW0P1z-e...

I hope this is of interest to people on here, and please share on other channels!

Go to newest
  • Hello John, I don't live in Bristol. I live in South London, but I love the concept you've come up with and I would to run a similar group like yours in my town using the template.

I think a scheme like yours could work across the country in every city and town.

I will share your group concept on my Twitter.

3 weeks ago
  • Hi Matthew,
    Thank you for the response and for sharing on twitter.
    It's great that you want to set up a group in your area, keep me up to date and we might still find ways to collaborate!

2 weeks ago
  • John and Matthew, this is really interesting and maybe something worth discussing in detail. I am in the process I raising a film development fund and will be seeking interesting ideas to seed.

2 weeks ago
  • I'm planning to set up my own one in Croydon as well, wish me luck!

1 week ago
  • These initiatives seem very much like my own local film making group www.finchleyfilmmakers.co.uk

We've existed since 1930. I've read the document, and the aims, methodology and structure seem to be very similar. We just about manage the 4 films per year, however we struggle to attract the right people. So I will watch with great interest how these new groups progress.

1 week ago
  • Matthew, best of luck in Croydon. Keep me up to date, it's going to be very interesting to compare notes!

Paul, thanks for bringing the Finchley Filmmakers to my attention. It looks like a great project. We're just starting out so I'd be curious to know any tips, and the what you've learnt from being involved in a similar group.

6 days ago
  • Hi John,

Just read about your initiative and it's a great idea that no doubt will attract considerable interest.

As I'm based in Bath and work as a composer for film, I thought I'd just thought it would be potty not to connect.

I notice you're first meeting is planned for September, so if after that point you or your collaborators feel they might want to work with a professional composer, just let me know.

Best,