We wanted to let you know Film of the Month is taking a month off for a revamp.
The activity for Film of the Month continues to grow and we're super gladdened that the core idea of getting brilliant filmmakers or industry heads to watch and review your films is so welcomed.
We're also very conscious of the feedback we've had that voting is a little too confusing (thank you to all who have written in!). And we agree! We want to make it simpler and smoother for you all, so we've made some changes. This is how Film of the Month will work starting from September:
- Submit your shorts to Film of the Month.
- Submissions will be open during the first two weeks of the month
- All submitted films will be reviewed internally and the best 12 films will be put on the leaderboard.
- Voting will open up to all SP members.
- The top three will then go to our guest judge for feedback.
As always, regardless of whoever makes it through, receiving comments, support and ideas from other members on your films remains integral to Film of the Month. So THANK YOU for all the feedback on each other's work.
If you have any questions or comments about the new and improved Film of the Month, please drop us a line at email@example.com. Let us know too of any filmmakers you'd like us to approach as future judges.
Get your films ready for September!
Film of the Month is a competition unique to Shooting People, you can upload any film of any genre or style and made in any year, as long as it has a running time of less than 30 minutes.
Each month the competition is split into 2 rounds, the FIRST ROUND takes place between the 1st and the 20th of each month.
You can upload your film at any time before the 20th and all members can vote for your film, the top 5 films from this round will be entered into the second round.
Those films will be joined in the second round by 5 films we consider to be underdogs in the competition, those who deserved to but didn’t quite make the top 5 (in our opinion).
Then they will battle it out for the top 3 positions on the leaderboard to win the coveted prize of being viewed and judged by one of Shooting People’s high profile patrons.
Not only do our top three films receive feedback from a Shooting People patron, they also win a free Vimeo Plus account worth $60.
You must be a member to submit your work, sign up now to take part.
Promote your own film in the competition through your own social media outlets, posting to our bulletins and asking personal contacts for support.
“This is an opportunity to view new film created by the rising stars of tomorrow, as hand-picked by the leading talents of today.”
- Aesthetica Magazine
Film of The Month - Terms & Conditions
- You must be a Member of Shooting People to enter Shooting People's Film of the Month. Membership is only £35 (UK) or $45 (US). You can join here.
- It is the member’s responsibility to ensure they have the right to upload a film to Shooting People.
- All films participating in Film of the Month will need to be completely cleared. A 'cleared' Film is a film that can be distributed, performed, copied, and otherwise exploited by Filmmaker (or its licensees/distributors) without infringing or violating, and without the likelihood of a claim of infringing or violating, some person or some entity's rights.
- To be eligible for consideration as Film of the Month, Members have to upload and enter their films from the first day of that month to the 20th of the same month. Films uploaded in previous months are not eligible for reconsideration in the current month. If you upload more than one film to the competition, and they reach the top five positions in the first round only the most liked will be included in the final round.
- All films uploaded during the entry period are submitted into Film of the Month unless you click the box ‘Opt out of Film of the Month’ when uploading
- Trailers, showreels, promo video’s and adverts are not eligible for Film of the Month.
- Excerpts or cut-downs of longer films are eligible for Film of the Month.
- Shooting People has no rights to the films for any form of commercial exploitation whatsoever. Shooting People reserves rights to use the Film of the Month for promotional purposes including, but not limited to, featuring the film on the Shooting People homepage; Vimeo, Facebook, Twitter and Youtube.
- The shortlisted entries will all receive a personal review from one of Shooting People's patrons.
- Shooting People reserves the right to change the patron allocated to a particular month at any point.
- Once a film has been included in a shortlist or selected as the Film of the Month, it cannot be shortlisted again. However, a shortlisted Member could then upload a new film that would be eligible for consideration as a subsequent Film of the Month.
- Shooting People reserves the right to remove from the website any film that the management consider inappropriate for Film of the Month.